803 S Black River St, Sparta, WI
Packaging Engineer Overall Purpose of Position
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Packaging Engineer is responsible for developing packaging solutions.
Packaging Engineer Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee and manage complete packaging development process, including the creation of packaging designs, prototype development and performance testing.
- Troubleshoot new and existing packaging problems involving designs, materials and processes and provide creative, timely and cost-effective solutions.
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications of product to determine physical characteristics of item, special handling, environmental and safety requirements, and types of materials required for packaging.
- Establish standards and guidelines for supplier evaluation. Evaluate and select packaging suppliers/vendors; periodically conduct vendor reviews.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Work closely with global suppliers, engineering, product management, operations and sourcing.
- Participate in product introductions teams, to deliver new products to market.
- Identify and implement cost saving initiatives related to packaging materials, labor, efficiency, transportation, and storage.
- Work closely with Engineering to optimize packaging supply base for cost, lead time, quality, regionalization, standardization, supply assurance and compliance with customer, regulatory and internal requirements.
- Specify and recommend efficiency tools and test methods to develop and validate packaging designs.
- Work with the manufacturing department to ensure the packaging designs are optimized for manufacturability.
- Develop and implement comprehensive test plans to ensure that packaging exceeds customer specifications
Packaging Engineer Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Packaging Engineering is required.
- Must have 5+ years of experience in industrial or consumer packaging.
- Knowledge and understanding of packaging of packaging design validation standards (ISO, ASTM, etc), drafting and specification standards is essential.
- Demonstrable proficiency in 3D CAD software is needed.
- Problem solving and decision making skills are necessary.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must have good communication skills, orally and in writing.
- Understanding of process improvement, quality improvement concepts is needed; ISO 9001 certification (e.g. CQA, CQE, CQIA) is desirable.
- Should have experience in rapid prototyping.
- Must be able to demonstrate project management skills, and experience; project management certification a plus.
Dated: November 11, 2022