Tool and Die Maker - Sparta Division
803 S Black River St, Sparta, WI
Tool & Die Maker Overall Purpose of Position
The Tool & Die Maker is responsible for analyzing specifications, laying out metal stock, setting up and operating machine tools, and fit and assemble parts to make and repair dies, cutting tools, jigs, fixtures, gauges, and machinists' hand tools.
Tool & Die Maker Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Studies blueprints, sketches, models or specifications to plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools, dies or assemblies.
- Verifies dimensions, alignments and clearances of finished parts for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers and dial indicators.
- Visualizes and computes dimensions, sizes, shapes and tolerances of assemblies based on specifications.
- Sets up and operates conventional or computer numerically controlled machine tools such as lathes, milling machines and grinders to cut, bore, grind or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes.
- Files, grinds, shims and adjusts different parts to properly fit them together.
- Fits and assembles parts to make, repair or modify dies, jigs, gauges and tools, using machine tools and hand tools.
- Conducts test runs with completed tools or dies to ensure that parts meet specifications, make adjustments as necessary.
- Inspects finished dies for smoothness, contour conformity and defects.
- Smoothes and polishes flat and contoured surfaces of parts or tools, using scrapers, abrasive stones, files, emery cloths or power grinders.
- Lifts, positions and secures machined parts on surface plates or worktables, using hoists, vises, v-blocks or angle plates.
- Measures, marks and scribes metal or plastic stock to lay out machining, using instruments such as protractors, micrometers, scribes and rulers.
- Develops and designs new tools and dies, using computer-aided design software.
- Cuts, shapes and trims blanks or blocks to specified lengths or shapes, using power saws, power shears, rules and hand tools.
- Designs jigs, fixtures and templates for use as work aids in the fabrication of parts or products.
- Selects metals to be used from a range of metals and alloys, based on properties such as hardness and heat tolerance.
- Sets up and operates drill presses to drill and tap holes in parts for assembly.
Tool & Die Maker Skills and Qualifications
- Associates degree in Tool and Die/Machining, vocational school or related on-the-job experience.
- Previous work-related skill, knowledge or experience
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Problem solving skills.
Dated: April 16, 2019