803 S Black River St. Sparta, WI
Buyer Overall Purpose of Position
Reporting to the Purchasing Manager, the Buyer is responsible for the purchase of non-production products or materials, equipment supplies and services in accordance with prescribed purchasing regulations and procedures at lowest cost. Reviews and analyzes purchase requisitions, investigates and develops sources of supplies, and prepares and reviews quotations. Interprets purchasing procedures to departments and vendors, as a specialist in assigned material categories. Ensures ordered quantities are received within the agreed upon time frame. Manages vendor relationships and researches new and innovative products which will enhance operations.
Buyer Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Explores and negotiates most cost-effective suppliers and products and develop cost saving strategies
- Secure product samples, photos and descriptions for departments
- Negotiates with suppliers to obtain the best offer available within time constraints of the requirements. In order to provide time to maximize negotiating efforts and reduce the need for rush transactions, negotiating should be conducted in advance of actual needs for products wherever practical
- Examines and analyzes departmental purchase requisitions for completeness and accuracy of information; contacts department or initiator to clarify or complete information; determines method to process requisition based on dollar amount, timeliness required, existing open contracts, and/or competitive bidding. Obtain missing or unclear information from the user.
- Identifies and selects vendors to procure requisitioned commodities, meeting criteria such as price, quantity, quality and delivery date and places the orders.
- Prepares supplier contracts and ensures all orders are documented by confirming written purchase orders or properly prepared contract.
- Identifies requesting departments needs and develops and refines specifications for commodities, supplies or equipment
- Interprets and communicates purchasing procedures to departments; assists departments in initiating requisitions and orders and solves problems with orders
- Works with proper team members to develop robust materials for new and existing projects/programs
- Resolves purchasing problems between department and vendor
- Ensures agreed upon quantities are delivered within specified time frame and ensures proper payments are issued to vendor/supplier
- Other duties and tasks as assigned
Buyer Skills and Qualifications
- Personal integrity and the ability to foster consensus
- Capable of promoting a strong cooperative, capable and creative culture
- Familiar with common purchasing practices and procedures
- Knowledge of material, products and the commodity market in area of specialization
- Excellent organizational skills
- Exceptional communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to interpret variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Economics or related field and 2+ years of purchasing experience preferred. May consider candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience
- APICS Certification preferred
Revision Date: September 15, 2020